Tuesday, 18 February 2014

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge: January 2014

Well, what a start to the year. 2014 seems to have picked up the pace again, I can't believe it's mid-February already. The year is shaping up to be a great one hobby-wise, with games in the offing, a good few events I plan on going to and some fair progress on the painting front. Fair, but not particularly impressive volume-wise, I've just about managed a batch of figures and a theme round entry each fortnight. Sadly, hobby time in January was hit with DIY (again) and life admin galore  (again). But I'm just about on course to make my points total by mid-March

My first January painting was this chap for the 'Villain' theme round. Recognise him?

Ok, here's a rather less than subtle clue:

Yes, more a 'Villainous Henchman' than pure Villain, it is he of a Strange Occupation.

A fairly quick job, but one more theme round down. I'm on course to nail all seven despite my glacial rate of painting, which appeals to the completionist in me.

Next up, another unit for the Sudan project and one that I'm pretty pleased with. Another unit for the Anglo-Egyptian forces, this time the Sudanese IXth infantry. The Sudanese battalions were regarded as the pride of the Egyptian army, being professional soldiers recruited for life from Southern Sudan and the Nuba mountains. The Xth and XIth were even recruited from old soldiers that had been captured by the Mahdi, served in his Jihadiyya before escaping en masse in 1885 and re-enlisting in the Egyptian army.

Mine are officered by an Egyptian (in this next photo, painted pre-challenge), though it was also known for Sudanese to be promoted from the ranks. The IXth's conduct alongside the Cameron Highlanders at the battle of Ginnis led to them being presented a unique standard in 1886: of red silk fringed in red and gold with Kosheh and Ginnis as battle honours and a central wreath. Other Battalions carried a green standard with just an Arabic numeral. I chose to represent them with this snazzy standard, made at my request by Flag Dude. I like this product, despite some drawbacks, the ease of use swings it for me - just stick it on and paint the pole/finials to match.

The uniforms of the Egyptian army changed quite a lot between the various campaigns. I've settled on having my Egyptian units in a white summer uniform and Sudanese in a blue with white trousers. All units were later issued khaki uniforms. No doubt it will surprise you to hear that they are from Perry miniatures.

At the same time, I worked on this Command stand for my Mahdist forces: a Khalifa and his faithful standard bearer. Both were started as part of my first challenge batch but set aside part way through. I pondered a while how to paint the Khalifa, given he has such a large robe aching for some freehand, perhaps patches in the Mahdist style. But for a religious leader, I decided on the understated purity of a plain white robe with a jagged edging in blue.

The standard bearer is converted from a spare metal spearman, carefully trimming his cast on spear off and replacing it with the Flag Dude banner. 

The next theme round went down to the wire, but I got him finished. For my 'Vehicle' entry, I intended to paint the first 15mm vehicles for Chain of Command US platoon. But alas, a delayed Wayland Games order necessitated a last-minute change of heart. Fortunately, I had this Pulpy motorcyclist from 1st Corps already prepped.

He's intended to represent one of the Prof's sidekicks, the boozing buffoon and beau of young Victoria Hemingway: Flight Lieutenant Michaels, riding a purloined military-issue motorcycle. No doubt he'll find cause to be pursued by some Nazis in motorcycles and side-cars (which happen to be in the challenge box, again) - I think that would make a great scenario some day.

To round out the month's painting, I just about squeezed in these Coureur de Bois for the Bloggers for Charity project started by James and Andrew. I hope that they will be put to good use.

These were a bit of a slog for me as I'm unaccustomed to painting irregulars in an efficient way, as evidenced by my disastrous first attempt at Bashi Bazouks last year. But they came out ok in the end, I think and I'm glad to have them finished well in time to be sent off and based with everyone else's fine contributions. The fine sculpts by AW Miniatures looked quite busy at first glance, but took the paint well and have well-defined detail, though I feel they are in the classic style, with larger hands and weapons akin to some Artizan sculpts.

Well, that's January and I've just dropped the first February entries into Curt to be posted. But I really must get back to the grindstone, Mr Awdry must be rocketing ahead in out side challenge. 


  1. Crickey Phil, just like buses.... :-)
    Looks like you have hit a real purple patch..

  2. Fantastic Odd Job (not to be confused with Odd Bod).
    What superbly painted figures.

  3. Phil - there is no efficient way to paint small numbers of irregulars. You only get efficiency with huge batches (like the ones I do).

    These were all superb entries for the Challenge :)

  4. A fine collection completed in Janaury, well done.

  5. Wonderful painting work. They are full of character!


Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.