Sunday 17 June 2012

Roar!

Or should that be 'Mooooo!'

As trailed recently, I've been finishing off my Minoan Minotaur for Aegeus this week. A lovely miniature from Otherworld miniatures, he stands at an impressive 45mm tall, I liked how he was tall but more like a gangly human, rather than GW-style muscled beast. I did slightly convert him have a cloth tunic rather than chain mail, with Mythological Greece not being well known for their chain mail.

He looks upset. Thorn in his toe perhaps?

Priced at £9 he wasn't cheap, but not too expensive either for such a fine miniature. With two new projects I seem to be in a buying phase at the moment: a small Otherworld order arrived today, two harpies and two giant snakes, more mythological assistance for my Minoan raiders. Each pack being the same price as the Minotaur they seemed a bit more of a luxury purchase, but the miniatures are very fine.

The skin didn't quite come out right here, the shade is a tad too grey - I wanted him to look quite human but with a very pallid flesh tone. As am afterthought I carefully lined the ubiquitous devlan mud over the grey, which improved matters somewhat. I am a lot happier with his face and snout, transitioning from black to pink flesh.

With a kneeling Redoubt miniature for scale.

I did get distracted by the Trooping of the Colour on TV yesterday, which inspired (well, distracted) me to finally fix up the rest of the Colours I picked up at Salute. It took a while longer than expected as I'm repainting the finials to suit my style. Here is a work in progress, I've still some touching-up to do from my cack-handed removal of the previous poles. The Guerilla standard bearer came out nicely, a custom design from Flag Dude


Image of the Virgin Mary on one side. The other reads 'Dios, Patria, Rey'.

After the Trooping of the Colour there was a flypast for the Queen's birthday, I managed to snap this view of the Red Arrows.


Not sure what'll have finished next, either my Minoan raider infantry or a small batch of Khurasan Command infantry for 15mm SciFi.

5 comments:

  1. Ohh those banners do look a bit special. I'll save my pennies for next salute and buy some myself. Minotaur looks good, look forward to him chomping through my infantry once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they finish a unit off so worth a luxury buy. You've half as much painted anyway :-p

      Perhaps I need a second unit-chomping Minotaur... Purely in the interests of play testing, mind.

      Delete
  2. The Minotaur looks wonderful, as indeed do the colours. A very productive weekend Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Michael. I'll post some pics of the whole units with their new colours at some point.

      Delete
  3. Actually, I quite like your grey minotaur and the tunic conversion turned out very fine. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.