Tuesday 27 March 2012

Challenge: Wrap up

I took this snap of everything I painted during the Analogue Hobbies Winter painting challenge. So this is my total painting output between 20 December and 20 March. Definitely good going for me, it feels like a long time since I have put out so much.
I hit the heady heights of 519 points, nearly 5% over my target. Scoring was 5 points for a 28mm miniature, 10 for cavalry and I worked through 80-something miniatures. My 500 wasn't even close to the leaders, who reached nearly 5000 points!
Looking over my entries and harking back to what I had on my painting table at the start, there is quite a difference. I started with a lot of Napoleonics to do, in particular 20- something cavalry. But have worked on my Naps for a couple of years, I'm feeling a bit burned out so my output was less, and primarily focused on finishing units off rather than starting new ones. With these done I'm thinking a break and some new projects is in order.
I did an unexpected amount of 1930s (ish) Pulp miniatures, which are always fun but were mostly bought once we'd begun. The driver for this comes from my brother's renewed interest in Pulp gaming. In fact, quite a few of these (and others I have prepped) are a gift for his birthday next month. This fashionable lady was the last of these, a shameless bid for Sarah's Choice and a delight to paint.

Manufacturers-wise, plenty of Perry and a bit for Victrix, Gripping Beast, Artizan, Pulp Figures. All excellent models and some of my favourite manufacturers. What else did I learn? Well plenty about the friendliness of our hobby, with a lot of camaraderie and encouragement from challengers and visitors alike. I learned about all facets of the hobby: modelling techniques, manufacturers, photography so forth. i saw some fantastic miniatures come off our collective painting tables, in all scales. I was impressed in particular with a lot of the 15mm work, a scale I've always avoided. Choosing my entry for the Challenger's Choice winner was tough, I can tell you.
So, many thanks to Curt for running it, it looked like a lot of work but I think we all appreciated it a lot. Thanks to everyone who entered, visited, commented and blogged about it, you are all true gentlemen and I found real sense of community in it. So, until next year: Curt has challenged me to 1000 points. Could I do it?




6 comments:

  1. I think you've got a very good chance with your entry for Sarah's choice, its a great looking figure!! So are you tempted to buy some 15mm now then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it would be a problem for you especially with 15mm, I think you have Sarah's choice sewn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know - there are some other great entries which will give my lady a run for her money.

      On 15mm, not sure right not. 28mm will remain my main scale but I liked moving to 10mm and feel games at that scale can have a real epic feeling. I can't see room for both 10mm and 15mm in my hobby life though. FoW is the most popular 15mms, but I've WWII in 10mm so it doesn't really grab me (might change - my bro and already said we'd look to get a demo of the new edition at Salute).

      As well as Greg's amazing tanks, ChristopherS with his Ayyubid Impetus army was particularly inspiring. I was looking at doing Crusades Arabs in 10mm recently, but could be convinced by 15mm. But I've no opponent for that!

      Delete
  3. It's been a blast, the best thing about the challenge was the friendly banter and support.

    I find 15mm far easier to paint than 28mm, mind you I am painting 108 6mm at the moment!!!!!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for being so late in commenting on this. Yes, it was a great time and lots of fun to run. I really enjoyed your entries, Phil, especially the Pulp stuff as I'm not very familiar with it. If I do it again I think I'll change the point structure between the scales as I don't think it best reflected the work that goes into doing 28mm figures well. I have a few ideas percolating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer Curt. I'm not surprised at all you took a little break from the blogosphere after all your efforts.

      Keeping up with the output of smaller scale painters will always be a challenge though Kent is the striking exception. What is hard to account for is the differences in style and the resulting differences in time spent. I know my slow pace stems from my clean style, so is my own darned fault that I'm not in the big league. But the aim of the Challenge was to encourage me get minis painted, something I remain pleased with achieving and even maintaing post-challenge.

      Something of a hobby renaissance for me, with a new project brewing. Now just to find and settle into a regular gaming group!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.